Friday, July 07, 2006

Rock n' roll


Not to worry, I am not going to waste much time on Pete Doherty, he gets enough air time as it is. But a few unavoidable things whilst on the subject, such as his uncanny resemblance to Cherie Blair. Or, is it just me?

If you're not convinced there is an opportunity to take a closer look tonight on the Jonathan Ross show. David Cameron last week, Doherty this week. I guess that justifies Ross's £18 million contract with the BBC. The most obvious sign that Ross's show is on a roll though, is the lack of David Blaine and Ricky Gervais guest appearances. They must be the talk show circuit's equivalent of the contract heave-ho.

But back to Doherty, briefly. I was having a few drinks at 3 Kingly Street last night and counted at least five androgynous blokes walk past in drain pipe jeans (ok, so far not so abnormal for Soho). But they were all donning Doherty style porkpie hats, you know the ones. Now I know these hats were popular in the 40s and 50s with artists, musicians and forward fashion men. I can remember Johnny Depp bringing them back in Benny and Joon, and in between times they must have come and gone.

But the real point is how it's a shame that fashion statement hats on men in reality scream insecurity, whilst on screen or on stage they scream just the opposite. It is one of life's harsh realities, but statement making hats are definitely best left to the Charlie Chaplins, the John Waynes, and dare I say even the Pete Dohertys. These men make the hat, they aren't looking for the hat to make them. And that's why it works.

In any case, that is all a distraction from what is really on my mind today: my birthday this weekend. And whilst I have never been one of those "celebrate me because I am worth it" types, I do feel the urge to commemorate its arrival. But the quality of the celebration is no longer directly correlated with how late the drinking lasts. This is definitely an age related phenomenon. It starts when your weekends shift from revolving around where to go out Saturday night, to getting as much as you can out of SaturDAY. This doesn't have to be a zero sum game, unless of course you also need your beauty sleep. Just don't lose perspective, age does come before beauty.

Thankfully, there is still some rock n' roll left in all of us.

Rockstar (esqe) things to do this weekend:

Visit:
Modernism exhibit at the V&A is only until 23rd July and it should be uplifting as it charts the visions that inspired modern architecture and design after WW1. Order out of chaos, a very appropriate theme for any weekend.

Watch:
Capote newly out on DVD. Because racing out to Pirates 2 on the first weekend reminds us of the kids with obviously new outfits on the first day of school. Way too keen. Save it for later.

Eat/Drink:
Gilgamesh, no not the one in Mesopotomia, although the setting next to the tattooed skip of Camden is bizarrely Babylonian. It is the new pan-Asian restaurant boasting the longest bar in Europe. Address: Camden Stables Market, Chalk Farm Road, NW1, 020 7482 5757

7 Comments:

Blogger EHoward said...

Me me me! My birthday MONTH is February and everyone is welcome to celebrate with me all month long!

Yeah, Pete is SO last year. I'm over him. Depp in, Doherty out.

Question: when did tapas get so damn big??? At at Cafe Espana (Soho) last night and the tapas were enormo! Tiny restaurant, GIANT portions. Wouldn't recommnend. I want my tapas a few bites, not much more.

3:03 pm  
Blogger EHoward said...

P.S. Have you eaten at Green and Red Bar and Cantina on Bethnal Green. Supposed to be decent Mexican.

Buon compleanno a te!

3:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Bday Cityslicker
Will you be writing at weekend?
Enjoy it loads
Carrie

3:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant stuff CS
Hat lines made me lol
Keep at it

4:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1st of all CS very happy birthday to you, 2nd i want to say that your piece is once again a sucess - well done liz!
terry and annabel x

7:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I myself was at that spot on Kingly Street and I counted at least 7 blokes with that silly profile. How much is attributed to Soho itself can be debated, but the trend is nonetheless alarming.

Next point: is an impending birthday for the host blogger worthy of a column? I think so. Please attend to this, CS.

2:28 pm  
Blogger Memento said...

Happy Birthday!
Hope you had a good one :)

10:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home