Friday, January 05, 2007

Forbidden fruits

I know what you're thinking - please don't ask how with just 1% of 2007 passed you have already succumbed to the apple in the garden (or in secular terms the pint in the pub). Not to worry because you are not alone; this week London has been ripe with transgression, symbolised here by this bandit Banksy at the top of Hatton Garden. From Mayor Ken chatting up terrorists to the Royal WAG getting a parking ticket, the first week of 007 has not suffered fools gladly. And neither should we. So put those foolish resolutions about a 'new you' aside for the next 340 days.

Because after all, only fools suffer for suffering's sake. As a wise man once said: "the fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool". I for one am not going to fool myself anymore: I am hereby ditching my New Year's resolution to refuse phone calls from Brad Pitt. From today, if he rings I will answer the phone. And with that level of gumption, let's embrace the 21st edition of City Slicker's "Week's Action, Weekend Reaction."

1) Guilt-ridden that you have let sales greed supersede attending any pagan Christmas festivities this season? React by heading to Bankside by Shakespeare's Globe this Saturday where the drama troupe Lions Part will be presenting their annual Twelfth Night performance, featuring song, fabulous costumes, and probably one of your last jots (I mean jugs) of mulled wine. Unless, of course, you are still fooling yourself. Sat from 2:45PM. Free.

2) Excited about Babel, The Last King of Scotland, Infamous and other Hollywood blockbusters landing in London cinemas later this month? React by getting your fill of edgier cinema now at the exceedingly popular 4th annual Halloween Short Film Festival. Nothing to do with October, costumes, or candy but much ado about film artist Matt Hulse, adult collective Destricted and the aptly named Club Motherfu*ker. Today to 14 Jan. Various cinemas.

3) Anxious that you still haven't made it inside the National Portrait Gallery for the Hockney exhibit? React by giving yourself a reason to go this Sunday with the screening of his life story in A Bigger Splash. A must for any art lover or fan of gay cinema. Sunday 1PM. Free.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Back City Slicker and Action Reaction Days!

Happy 007 to all!

4:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Four days on the Dr Joshi diet and I just blew it at lunch on a bowl of chips. I blame you CS! I was strong before I weakened to the sense of your blog. Damn you woman.

4:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is calling me a fool? I am going to try and give us CS from today. Okay no I am not. But actually then again how would you know? The web never tells.

4:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CS -- your subscription service has peaked out. Had to log on directly. FYI...

4:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for heads up anonymous

thought it was because my hotmail is down.

4:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only detox I have managed to stick with for longer than 3 hours has been the Cultural one. I'm looking forward to going to Banned at the National Theatre next Tuesday :)

4:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hockney was a poof?

4:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

charming

4:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Halloween short fest is a treat. Top quality the pas three years.

The lead spots are usually at ICA and Curzon Soho so I would sugest looking there for top bills.

Enjoy.

6:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Day One no cigarettes. Day Two no cigarettes. Day Three five cigarettes. Fourth day 35 cigareetes. Fifth day 20 cigarettes. If only there was a pattern I could understand. But I am no fool CS. Tonight I am thinking it's gonna be a 40 night. Call me a quitter.

6:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work at Christie's in London. Even though Christie's' office here was closed until after the New Year, my phone was ringing non-stop with clients who want to sell stuff. They even called me on Christmas Day, so I think everyone is going, hmm, I wonder if I can sell this?" meaning a lot of people got expensive gifts they didn't like. When you get a sweater from Liberty's that doesn't fit, you return it. When you get a David Hockney print that doesn't look good over the sofa, you call Christie's.

Could easily get into your blog City Slicker.

6:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOHMYGOD---NO WAY

Sorry but Christie's from London chica I think you got lost. Click here to find your way home. Can I be a bitch or what?

6:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry off topic but did anybody else know that H from Steps is gay before this season's BB outing?

My cultural detox is clearly not going so well. I did mean well though.

6:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Slicker -

Happy New Year!

My cultural detox is going splendid. Had a wicked weekend - saw Wicked. Brilliant. Have you been?

8:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home