Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Charlie, my chaplain

One clear sign of getting older is the writing of letters. And I don't mean the kind of letters you used to compose under duress to your grandmother to compensate for not visiting the poor dear. No, I mean letters to strangers. You know those people you have not known or met before but who can still stir a reaction you feel compelled to document. Like a James Blunt "You're Beautiful" moment except you aren't soft: you act firmly on principle.

Let me give you an example. In yesterday's G2 section of the Guardian was this peerless article by the columnist, Charlie Brooker, pillorising David Cameron. Now it doesn't take much to get me cursing the man whose smirk has allowed us to hate the Tories again. For years they were a ramshackle organisation comprising merely of the Parliamentary equivalents of the shouty bloke on the bus who smells of wee and with whom one should not make eye contact, but recently it's become easier to dislike them.

This is down, in no small part, to the fact that if you were to venture down to Portcullis House you would find yourself knee-deep in chinless aspirants in Daks suits attempting to air-kiss the bejesus out of each other and braying so much that you would get confused as to whether they are in the Dispatch Box or a horse box. But, don't take it from me. Charlie is the man.

And so beguiled am I with his column that I wrote to him this morning with the proposal of marriage. What? Surely I am not the only one? Some of you must write fan mail to journalists? Oh no, have I just shown my age?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slicky you are so funny. This post has me cracking up. Let us knwo his response!x

5:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No never sorry CS. Although do my comments here count luv?

6:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree brilliant article. Love the crikey part. Too true.

6:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL

6:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"To reach a more advanced stage of intellectual evolution, humankind must first eradicate the "Tory instinct" from the brain - which is why mother nature is gradually making them less sexy with each passing generation. The final Tory is doomed to spend his or her life masturbating alone on a hillside, which, let's face it, is the way things were supposed to be all along."

That says it all
Great article find

6:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wrote to simon jenkins. i got a response eight weeks later from the guardain unlimited group asking for a donation to some stupid cause. yeah cuz they are so right on and connected to tehir readership all right.

6:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello City Slicker. I hope you don't mind this not entirely relevant comment. You left a comment on my blog some time ago asking when there would be an update... well, I'm just letting you know that Paul has once again been active on ebay and there are some more recent posts for you to enjoy... not a lot!

1:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this article as well. Ha ha. But the sadness is that Cameron will win.

8:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie is my hero

10:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a bit of Charlie. I find his writing a little contrived but when he's on Screen Wipe I forget I have a boyfriend. God, I love sardonic men...

9:36 pm  
Blogger Interval Drinks said...

Indeed, Mr Brooker is a God-like individual, though at his best I think when he's writing about television...

4:26 pm  
Blogger Aby said...

CHARLES CHAPLIN'S The Kid (1921)
A Must-See Family Silent Comedy
NOW PLAYING 24/7 & FREE ON
PUBLIC LIVE CAST
www.publiclivevcast.com

12:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home