Thursday, June 14, 2007

Capital L

Dear Mayor Ken,

It was a pleasure commuting with you on the Jubilee Line this morning. I was the Metro reading, Ipod blasting woman sitting to your left who made the quip about Bob Kiley which, incidentally, wasn't fair on further consideration. Find me one American in London whose alcohol consumption doesn't career out of control in Binge Britain. Ahem.

No, my case of dry heaves aside, what I really wanted to ask you was why the sheer lack of competence in London's PR circles these days? And, no, I am not talking about the fiasco that was the Olympic logo - which incidentally I am finding to be a grower. Just last night I was mindlessly reading a copy of London Lite and I found myself warming to the pink cubist version of a shot putter. Or even if you reckon it's closer to a Yorkshire terrier or Boris Johnson's hair it's better than Beijing's chronic dancer.

The PR debacle I am talking about is Capital Radio's Lights Out London campaign. You know the publicity pimped event you are supporting which will involve getting people to turn off their lights and other non-essential domestic appliances between 9pm and 10pm on June 21st. Er, did you miss the minor catch? June 21st is the longest day of the year so it won't even be dark at 9PM. Most lights won't even be turned on in the first place.

Such stupidity deserves a capital L for Loser not London.

Yours,

City Slicker



13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It can only be described as just plain stupid rubbish.

but for those who do participate in this gesture of futility, remember that those who follow like sheep will one day likely end up on the table...

10:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite right anonymous man.

The energy will still be produced, it just won't be used.

As in Sydney when they tried the same stunt, the sanctimonious will come to the fore, leaving little notes on the doors of those blasphemers who don't prostrate themselves before Gaia.

10:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see this is an illustration of the lack of environmental knowledge of self-styled environmentalists.

10:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He he. Nice one CS!

10:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erm. So all those power stations are going to switch themselves off for an hour are they?

This is nothing but gesture politics of the worst kind in my view.

10:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not be surprised if this had been agreed with the National Grid in order to avoid having a huge switch-off/switch-on spike, as the Grid are known to hate things like that.

10:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you can say at least Ken takes the tube. That is more than most politciians these days will do to stand by and support their green credentials.

Rather funny you sat next to him!

10:53 am  
Blogger Shep said...

I wonder who I might sit next to this weekend...in London!

Don't get excited, I'm all over the place. From Westbourne Park to South Ealing to Northwick Park to Finchley Road to West Hampstead to Paddington. I think.

11:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What stupidity is right who would not have thought they should do this in the winter when a statement could be made beyond a publicity craze? Gosh it is embarassing.

11:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post CS

I plan to turn all my lights ON to keep away the thiefs!

4:11 pm  
Blogger The Philanthropist said...

Great post CS.
From Thephilanthropistblogger.blogspot.com

9:26 pm  
Blogger The Philanthropist said...

Great post CS. From The Philanthropist.

9:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One fine Saturday afternoon last September I was amused to find Ken proudly explaining the underground map to a child at a Bond Street platform or somewhere. This went on for some time, in great detail. I speculated - "One day this will be all yours", "Mornington Crescent - the board game", and others... but I was struck by the humility of this solitary pair. Anyone name me another (known) politician prepared to be that down to earth?

8:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home