Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Who is Observer Woman?

It arrives once a month. It’s often painful, always annoying. Liable to invoke irrational mood swings and violent bursts of temper. It’s messy, embarrassing and is often known as ‘the curse.’ Yes. It’s the Observer Woman Magazine. Could it be less relevant? Could it be more offensive? 51% of humanity reduced to simpering, bitchy whores of the fashion industry. Nothing to trouble our little minds but hunky men, flashy lip gloss and Gucci gussets. I resent it. I resent it so much I went to all this trouble to type up this blog. And I have a real job. It took a good 30 minutes out of my drinking time.

Maybe you think I am being a bit harsh. And that's fair enough. So let's take a look at last week's cover story:

Gwen Stefani interview. Ooooh, this could be interesting...Oh. It's an article about frocks.

"I'm like every other woman. I'm super-vain. I have issues."

No Gwen, you're not. However you have captured the entire spirit of OWM in two short sentences. For months I have been wondering what devil in Prada OWM is aimed at - and now I know. Gwen Stefani IS Observer Woman.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genius CS. This magazine too makes me resentful. All the ads and gloss without substance. Notice how they tend to hide it in the other sections so you can't see it coming.

5:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harsh, but very fair. Someone had to say it. Thanks!

5:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the all time best laughs! Too true. Thanks indeed. :-)

5:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

has Posh Spice heard the news? the crown has been stolen!

5:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CS - if you don't cc this to the editorial desk darling - I will! I could not agree more.

Where is Observer Man?

5:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hysterical. Point on Slickie.

7:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are very resilient: reading Observer Woman and only wanting to vomit. I think that's a positive and admirable response. Observer Woman makes me want to die and take everyone else with me.

11:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog, and am so glad you're here to take on the trainwreck that is OWM every month. But how do we make the Observer STOP? I'm not sure how much longer I can go on reading a newspaper which has so much contempt for its female readers.

11:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CS Thank you for your comments on this month's issue. Now I'll be ripping up OWM and posting it to the Observer Editor with a letter pointing out that the paper's entire female readership is not braindead and treating them as though they are is only going to stop women from buying the Observer altogether.

If anyone else would care to join my crusade, please feel free!

11:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OHM is crap!!!!

11:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only solution is to ignore it. It's like fairies: only if we believe it exists, will it do so :-)

8:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. Speaking as a man, I too think it is utter cack. And they committed THE cardinal magazine sin of giving yet more time to those self-regarding oxygen thieves, Liz Jones and Nirpal Daliwal.

6:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness I am not alone! I have hated it from day one. It is so vacuous

10:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home