Thursday, November 23, 2006

Giving thanks











Waking up in London on Thanksgiving morning is enough to make even the most brazenly cool (editorial license at play) New Yorker a wee wistful. No standing in the cold to barely catch a glimpse of Garfield's whiskers in the Macy's parade; no being brought to tears about the turkey being dry, the carrots cold or the potatoes lumpy; no one intentionally mentioning things over dinner that they know will upset you, things that stopped being important to you years ago.

No, enough indulgent self-pity for today. Instead I am going to start us off on a list of things to be thankful for today. Because that is what the day is about after all. Or, at least I will convince myself of such whilst I sit at my desk tucking into a limp 'Thanksgiving Special' on granary from Pret. (Incidentally, I prefer harps to violins).

Today we give thanks for...drum(stick) roll please:

1. The Democrats control Congress again and Rumsy is gone.

2. There are no more 'hungry' people in the U.S. No, that's not a typo. By government decree, the 35 million Americans who aren't always sure where their next meal is coming from will now be referred to as people experiencing "very low food security." Eat that load of turkey, George Orwell. So with spin aside, I am most thankful 2008 is one day closer.

3. Amy Winehouse The Billie Holiday of the 21st century. Amy's new album Back to Black is raw, genius material about life in contemporary London. And the rousing, churchy 'Rehab', in which Winehouse describes how her father tries to wean her off alcohol ('Try to make me go to rehab/ I say no, no, no'), shows Lily Allen who's the boss.

4. Posh and Becks. That in this year of calamitous celebrity break-ups, England's favourite couple are holding it together. Stop snickering.

5. This Fox News Video


6. New blogger buddies. And last, but never least, I am thankful for all of my loyal readers. So without further ado, over to you...

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First up today, I am thankful for my City Slicker :-)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING babe

2:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL ths video rocks

Agree on Amy Winehouse as well. the new album is golden.

Can I add...jellied eels. I just love jellied eels. And am always thankful for them

2:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my motehr used to say "If you have your health, you're blessed and everything else is possible."

And money, handbags, shoes and more shoes doesn't hurt either.

2:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is cold and windy here in NYC. I doubt Garfeild will survive anyway. No doubt lamp posts will be torn down on unsuspecting toddlers.

God Bless America!

2:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BORAT

Because when life is so stupid is needs to be funny

2:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Thanksgiving was basically the raping and pillaging of the Indians. Bet they dont have anything to be thankful for!

3:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one CS
Rainy and windy in the Big Apple so you aint missing much.
This YouTube is great

3:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack says, "Happy Thanksgiving Auntie"

And the boys have wrapped the organic, free range, liberal turkey in 3 lbs. of nitrate laden bacon.
We miss you.
Hugs from Meadow Ave

4:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thorntons chocolates

What else is there to be thankful for if life is void of chocolate?

4:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe in Trytophan. The drug in Turkey meat that makes you fall asleep in front of the football.

4:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful for Guinness.

4:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful for my sperm count.

4:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful for OJ Simpson making such a complete twat of himself that we actually now have an honest verdict on that murderer.

Any bad day for Fox news is a day I am thankful for.

Hope you eat some turkey today and dont forget the Indians you killed to get to your gluttonous country.

4:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... so these laughing turkeys are getting a junior-high school chuckle while talking about Iraqi police being "riddled with bullets" and killed? That's pretty soulless. I wonder why Rush Limbaugh isn't screaming about these guys?

Happy Thanksgiving

5:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I coul watch him dancing like that all day

I am thankful for YouTube

5:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful for blogs making my time at work pass so much faster :-)

5:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where on earth did you find this video? I cant stop watching it...

5:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving shamnksgiving

We dont care here in Britain. SO we lost a colony. Big deal. What have you done lately? Except boss us around for the last twenty years.

But we aren't jealous or resentful. I am just glad you left or we would all be speaking Dutch or German now.

6:37 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

I am thankful for blogging.

You've been tagged by me - '10 Things I would never do.' If you look at my blog, you'll see what you need to do (if you want)

6:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am thankful for blogging

Graet stuff here Slicky

I am loyal to the bone

6:58 pm  
Blogger ems said...

I was horrified when I realised the French didn't know what Guy Fawkes was all about. No fireworks there on the 5 November. I'm guessing this is similar - hope you had a good day!

8:13 pm  
Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Happy Thanksgiving, City Slicker. I'm thankful for you!

4:28 am  
Blogger Scottish Princess said...

i miss you, come visit soon, great men in scarfs blogs

your pal the scottish princess
check out my NY adventures
http://adventuresofascottishprincess.blogspot.com

6:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home