Friday, November 03, 2006

In Blighty we trust

It has hardly been a good PR week for Britain (Madge baby snatching aside). In the span of a few days we have been condemned as a "surveillance society" populated with teens from hell who are treasonably too fat to be soldiers. Ouch. So, I guess sometimes there are upsides to being American and closer to forty than fourteen.

But, with age also comes the wisdom to never underestimate the Brits, Empire dissolution days notwithstanding. And if the Today programme and John Humphrys aren't enough to keep you generally inspired by the voice of Britain, pick up a copy of today's Guardian. Splashed across the front page is the most enlightened poll ever printed (as voted here) : "British believe Bush is more dangerous than Kim Jong-il." Sheer genius. In one fell swoop the British people have come to redefine the "axis of evil." And I knew there was a reason I was living in Blighty.

So with love in our hearts and hope for world peace (aka Election Day 2008) in our minds let's celebrate the 13th (and lucky) edition of City Slicker's "Week's Action, Weekend Reaction."

1) Nauseated by Tom Cruise, the wedding rumours, his now apparent comeback as head of Universal Studios? React by using his name in vain and head to the opening of Tom's Kitchen in Chelsea. Informal and affordable finally comes to Chelsea. And no, Tom, that is not science fiction. Opens today.

2) In sticker shock over the record $140 million paid out for a Jackson Pollock? React by enjoying art for free at Late at Tate Britain where the focus is on disappearing London, complete with Routemaster talks by Will Self. Tonight. 6-10 PM

3) Agree that the high street is no longer the cheap retail thrill it used to be? React by staying indoors and shopping on-line for the American streetwear brand, Urban Outfitters, who have just launched their UK buying website. Just a shame the price signs can't be in dollars. www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ace post CS!
I knew you leftie Guardian readers were sensible sometimes :-)

12:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do any other Brits out there actually believe that poll? Guardian codswallop if you ask me.

12:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the look of Tom's Kitchen from the website.
Finally somebody thought to put a games room in. I have been saying that for years. London restaurants/bars are so limited in activities apart from getting smashed to bits.

1:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, how I love my Friday action/reaction column!

The urban outfitters site is great but prices rather dear. Primark here I come...

See ya Slickster!

1:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you just imagine if that headline was printed in the US?

It would bever happen. yes so in Blighty we trust indeed!

1:38 pm  
Blogger Shep said...

All my best clothes come from Peacocks (the store, not the bird!)...

3:14 pm  
Blogger ems said...

Sssshhhh! We're off to the Tate. Free but first come first served for the tickets. If the other events for 'City of Disapperances' are anything to go by it's going to be busy.

3:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shhhh indeed so am I!

4:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww Shep - I have gone right off you now. Peacock?

4:32 pm  
Blogger Shep said...

Name me another clothing store on Kingsbridge High Street, hun.

Nothing.

If I'm truthful, everything comes from charity shops. But then, being a 34 year old means I have no need for fashion. Or indeed, proper clothing of any sort.

Feel my pain.

4:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fair enough Shep baby...but as a 33 year old WOMAN I shop till I drop. Compatible? Checking out your blog now :-)

4:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While we are talking shopping I just bought a tulip skirt on urban outfitters site for £35. feeling guilty now.
So what does next week's election mean for Bush Slicker?

4:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great bloghere

Ditto I love this action reaction theme. Makes me thing of locomotion song

5:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific stuff here..

6:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do you mean this poll won't eb on the cover of the Washington Post then?
God bless The Guardain leftie establishment. x

6:31 pm  
Blogger Shep said...

You do the shopping, I'll do the geeking out to the upcoming US midterms...I can't wait til next week!

6:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should geek out with Slicker then Shep. She has been sending me stupid jokes about Virginia all week.

6:38 pm  
Blogger Shep said...

I love the story of the Republican-only voting machine that turned up this week. Classic stuff - only in America...

7:10 pm  
Blogger City Slicker said...

Hey Shep - I too am sadly giddy with excitement. But having suffered through the 80s as a Democrat (think Dukakis, Mondale and feel my pain) I have learned to never underestimate the Democrats flair for losing. But if they can't cature at least the House of Rep on Tuesday then as George Will, the conservative colunist, argues "they should go into another line of work."

Oh, and glad to see you and Ella are back on speaking terms.

7:33 pm  
Blogger Shep said...

I used to have a 'Duke' T-shirt I wore during some of the 90s. No-one in the UK had a clue what it was all about. Mind you...neither did the US, eh?

I'm not sure what coverage the mid-terms will get over here, I'm hoping a frosty Richard Dimbleby presented overnight BBC show...

Oh, Ella and I were always on speaking terms...but making up is always nice anyway, eh?

7:44 pm  
Blogger City Slicker said...

And did you hear the one a few weeks back when Bush was on ABC TV and the presenter told him that no fewer than 72 Democrat candidates running for the House had put him in their campaign ads and Bush replied "Are they saying good things?"

Vintage Dubya!

7:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Srry to lower the tone here but urban outfitters is no peacock. Some tops are £75? Cool website just a shame cant afford anything

7:57 pm  
Blogger Pants said...

Or, if you wanted to be really subversive, you could participate in the London Blackout tomorrow - light some candles and make your own fun.

10:34 pm  
Blogger Shep said...

I love the instant 'leftie Guardian' labelling people fall back on lazily. The Grauniad is centre left at best. I guess it's the closest we have. A fair and balanced media? Right-Wing: Telegraph, Times, Sun, Mail, Standard, Express, oh I could go on. Centre: Mirror (oh yes it is), Indie. Left Wing-ish: Guardian. If you're lucky. One paper for the supposedly liberal-majority populace, and yet it is used to illustrate a huge march of Reds overrunning merrie old England. Bit silly, really.

7:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your voice City Slicker

Keep London happening darling...

11:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some lovely animals on that website. I am concerned, however, that they will appear on the menu.

9:56 am  
Blogger Monique said...

Ahhh and even better - shoe store office has started a website - www.office.co.uk - I used that to my advantage last week. You know I NEEDED those shoes!!!!!

11:20 am  
Blogger hungech said...

Blighty is a British English slang term for Britain, deriving from the Hindustani word vilāyatī (विलायती) (pronounced bilāti in many Indian dialects and languages), from Persian vilayet and ultimately from Arabic wilayah, originally meaning something like "province". In India the term came to refer to Europe, and more specifically Britain
Material Handling Supplies
trading the market

5:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home