Wednesday, September 05, 2007

All About Almodovar

It was a week ago yesterday that I sauntered along The Cut to the theatrical adaptation of Pedro Almodovar's 'All About My Mother' at the Old Vic. I have been meaning to write about it here, but I have been shamefully remiss of late. So late that the mainstream papers are already on the case: anathema to a blogger. And, as is often the case, I disagree with the dead white males. Well, okay, I often disagree with the live ones as well but that's academic. And I rarely do so with the West End Whingers whose review, yet again, is more relevant (personal photo ops aside) than the Times, Guardian and Evening Standard.

In short, I thought the play was brilliant. It's not every day that you spend a few hours inside the heads of pregnant nuns, transsexual prostitutes, and theatrical divas immersed in sex, drugs and three untimely deaths (Sunday afternoon sessions at the Vauxhall Tavern aside, of course). Lesley Manville and Dame Diana Rigg offer superb examples of cooling British acting talent which provides a counterpoint to the play's Spanish heat. My only niggle is the girl who plays the nun (played by Penelope Cruz in the movie) is generally excellent but her Spanish accent when she says "Mama" or "Papa" is laughable. It actually sounds Italian (she stresses the first syllable instead of the second one). Ok, it's a detail.

The critics moan that it's a play of a movie which makes it somehow less worthy as a play. I disagree. It's not the movie, but we knew that, it's a play. Does it work as a play? Absolutely.

'All About My Mother' is at London's Old Vic Theatre until Nov 24th. There is £25 'Early Bird' ticket offer through the month of September. Book here.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At long, long last!

Welcome back CS

x

4:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again-been really psyched up for this show. Glad to see it won't disappoint. But the Old Vic is just so spenny?!

5:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who played manuela?

7:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wekcome Back Dame City Slicker. You have been missed.

4:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate Almodovar. There, I’ve said it. I should duck for cover now, I suppose. Volver is absolutely dreadful as a film. A waste of nearly 2 hours of my life. Clearly his Catholic homosexual oedipal complex has a great appeal for a great many people - not least the thousands of people who go to see his films each year, then buy them on DVD.

4:08 pm  
Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Great to have you back, CS!

10:22 pm  
Blogger Janet said...

I'd love to see Dame Diana in person. My husband and I are going to try to catch this. When I was a teenager, I SO wanted to be "Mrs. Peel" when I grew up. Trouble was, I have curly hair. And I'm not that skinny!

Janet

3:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again-been really psyched up for this show. Glad to see it won't disappoint. But the Old Vic is just so spenny?!
T.I. mixtapes
girls charm bracelet

9:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home