Where else but New York?
The Schadenfreude Life: 10 reasons New Yorkers pity those living elsewhere (and the Londoner tourists who fail to know about them). Delivered in digestable doses: half today, half tomorrow.
1) Raoul's for the best steak a poivre anywhere. Trendy, buzzing atmosphere and decent wine list. A New York classic. Soho.
2) Cafe Gitane for coffee, dessert and fashionista people gazing. Next door to the Sigerson Morrison shoe shop. Enough said. Nolita (North of Little Italy).
3) Upright Citizens Brigade super popular weekly improv comedy show. Arrive early, always busy. Sunday evenings. Chelsea.
3) Whitney Museum of American Art the world's foremost collection of 20th century American art. Period. And without the tourists and navigational tests of the MET. Excellent permanent Edward Hopper collection. 'Pay what you wish' Friday evening's from 6-9 PM. Upper East Side.
5) Trendy urban clothes in distinctly designer forward but wearable fashion. The kind of clothes you will be forever answering where you bought them. The answer: Label NYC. A secret you will reluctantly give out. Soho.